8.27.2007

Time warp

I'm not the most technologically savvy person in the world (the teenager who managed to unlock the iPhone last week? Yeah, not me). But, I have kept up as the world has changed, and our online life is second nature to me. I'm not sure why it has come as such a shock to me that universities have changed along with the rest of the world. EVERYTHING is online. As I navigate the back-to-school process, I'm constantly surprised, and delighted, by how easy it has all become. My last point of reference was 1989: cumbersome financial aid forms, transcript requests by mail only, card catalogs at the library, and a typewriter. This time around, I'm doing everything online, and only went to campus to register because Hamline requires an introductory advising session before your initial registration. Everything else I've done from the comfort of our kitchen.
I was most surprised last week when I clicked on the university bookstore link, to check hours of operation, and found all my course booklists, along with online ordering. For those of you eager to follow my coursework, here are the books you'll need to buy. Of course, you can always just support a poor college student and sponsor me with your purchase of one or more (Me: starving child with flies on my eyes. You: Sally Struthers. Remember, for just fifty cents a day, the price of a cup of coffee . . .).
  • Invitation to Anthropology, Lassiter
  • Laughter out of Place, Goldstein
  • Concise Oxford Dictionary Of Literary Terms, Baldick
  • Literature & Its Writers: A Compact Introduction, Charters
  • Kontakte, Terrell

Having worked in the textbook industry for the past ten years, I know all about the ridiculous cost of textbooks (and no, Buuji, Inc. is not the beneficiary of said price gouging, believeyoume). I was pleasantly surprised that my books aren't as expensive as I thought they'd be--with the exception of Kontakte. $125 for a beginning German text? Come on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too, remember typing papers. And one of my work study jobs was to put stickers into the card catalog with the new Library of Congress call numbers - you had to be careful to completely cover the Dewey number with the sticker that you cut with a scissors. (Go back and re-read that to make sure you understand - I walked around the card catalog cutting out little stickers and stuck them onto the old cards.) Fast forward 20 years and I can look up anything anywhere on my iPhone. (Wait, am I sounding like an old person? This is how old people talk, isn't it? Sigh.)

I did notice that you can go one step further with one of your books (the Goldstein) and just order it as an electronic file. Who needs paper?

Plus I'm sure you looked at other Web sites as well for ordering your books. If not, you might be interested in this:
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/books/index.html

Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

First of all, where are you buying fifty cent coffee?

The $125 for the German textbook sort of blows my mind. Back when I was teaching German (and granted, that was way back in the previous century), I think good old Deutsch für Alle was about $45.

Maybe the Germans have invented yet MORE adjective endings for you to learn. That would be so like them.

deb said...

Apologies in advance for littering your blog with geezertalk.

Somewhere around the time when you started walking, and Dewey still reigned, I was an urban studies/pre-med/music major (I had a little trouble getting focused) and was typing papers on a manual typewriter, using carbon paper to make three copies of everything. ONE error meant starting the whole page over. I knew good typists who made $20 per page for triplicate perfection. At the time, minimum wage was $1.65 an hour.

Korrectype and WiteOut were the breakthrough killer apps.

It is my belief that no other readers of this blog stem from the carbon paper era, but maybe it's just that you all do a nice job on skin care.

My roommate, Lynda, was a pretty serious introvert, and she always did all the reading, but eschewed regular class attendance.

I was, and am, a big extravert and I had virtually perfect class attendance all during my trudge of over-education.

Lynda and I agreed, you have to do one or the other, but we collected a lot of data about not doing both. We both got good grades and went on to ridiculous amounts of additional education.

My friend Marianne says people go to school until they can't stand to any more. For some that's kindergarten, and for some it's a post-doc fellowship.

I am living proof that you can get a doctorate by doing two-thirds of the reading. Over time I got savvier about leaving books in the cellophane until they were really needed, and about selling back as much as possible, as soon as possible.

deb said...

PS

My work-study jobs were:
- dishwasher of radio-active test tubes in a microbiology research lab
- nurse's aide in labor & delivery, which involved a lot of floor swabbing, dish washing, bed changing, and setting up trays of surgical instruments.
- nurses's aide in the kidney transplant unit, where i became a morgue roll adept.

annw said...

Hey, I have the Baldick! When I checked to be sure, there it was, with a little purple Post-it sticky tab hanging out.

A few of the entries on that page (162-3) were:
Motif and Myth -- which connect to our earlier discussion of the hero archtype
Movement, the -- Have I been around teenagers too much if I giggled that the definition states it applies to a "loose" group of poets?
Muse -- which makes me wonder who your blogmuse is, Scott?

PS If it's considered gauche to respond to every post, I am such a total blogeek. (Is it?)

deb said...

to ann:

au contraire, only the really cool people respond to every blog entry. people like you and me and eric m.

i'm actually treating this as my own personal showcase.

su bloggo es mi bloggo.