1.14.2008

Pure poetry

No Going40 post has generated more buzz, more excitement, more popping of champagne corks than my glorious limerick contest. The unexpected result of the contest is that I am singlehandedly placing the limerick back on its rightful pedestal as an art form to be revered, nourished, and touted to the ends of the earth as the apogee of high culture. To wit:
  • Limericks continue to be the preferred choice of commenting among the Going40 cognoscenti.
  • Dear friends StyleGuru and Architect created a fancy party invitation entirely in limerick form.
  • Mother recently wrote four limericks in her birthday card to me.

Now, some might argue that Professor K is really responsible for this limerick lovefest. Some would be wrong. She simply handed out a class assignment. I took that assignment and made it obnoxious. And besides, I have my grade for LitCrit and she can't hurt me now.

Speaking of poetry, I love my new iPhone. And, because I sense a post-holiday letdown among my readership, it is time to bring poetry and the iPhone together in a you-got-your-chocolate-in-my-peanut-butter kind of way, and begin another Going40 Limerick Contest! Woo-hoo! The subject for this round is iPhone. Some possible themes:

  1. Why I love my iPhone
  2. Why I love Scott's iPhone
  3. Why I harbor a grudge deep in my heart over not having an iPhone
  4. Why iPhone is better in France
  5. What the %&^*! is an iPhone?
  6. Shut up about the iPhone

I will attempt to find a particularly qualified judge for this contest, submissions for which must be included in the comments section of this blog entry (NO email entries: that is simply too much work for me, my business partner is in India, and I'm taking a J-term class with Professor Flutterby who is nit-nit-nit-picky). The prize will NOT be an iPhone. Submissions are due by 5:00pm, 18 January 2008.

P.S. Some of you might be tempted to point out that I promised an end to all things limerick at Going40. Now that I am 40, my mind isn't quite what it used to be, so I may not remember everything I've ever said; who can tell.

12 comments:

Kellyann Brown said...

the cell company made me get a new phone
my thumbs for texting I could hone
sad, but true
I bought a motorola Q
but wish with my heart for an iphone

Anonymous said...

[Our 40-day BlogStrike ends on January 22, and until now, we have no news on our (very modest and entirely reasonable) demands. Furthermore, the fat-free yogurt on our recent visit to the U.S. was still, quite frankly, sub-par. It's time for Consequences.

You leave us no choice but to sit here eating fabulous French fat-free yogurt while making up countless limericks about how incredible the iPhone is in France (which it is, bien sûr!), each limerick more amazing than the last, and none of which you'll ever see. Much as it pains us (far more than you, no doubt) for our wit to go unshared, you've brought this on yourselves.

Plus, it's hard to be poetic when we're jet-lagged.]

Scott Rohr said...

At least we know it's a true French strike: no one is paying any attention.

deb said...

I'm dusting off brain cells from last year -
the lim'ricks are starting to flow here.
This topic's a good one,
a well-understood one -
the high tech objet that i hold dear.


My iPhone I got in September,
replaced it for free in November.
I got my rebate,
though I asked for it late,
and the dazzle is all I remember.


I check it as oft as I'm able -
I'll sneak a look under the table.
The buttons are so sweet,
the slide screen's a real treat.
Ah! Apple is such a fine label.
or
And I think it might even get cable.
or
My rhyme scheme calls here for "Aunt Mabel."


I use it to check on the weather.
I bought it a case made of leather.
The camera's quite neat
and the email is sweet -
It all works so smoothly together.


I really do love my new iPhone -
the look and feel and the whole tone.
I check all my stocks,
and the music still rocks.
(Are lim'ricks just nothin' but corn pone?)

by deb & phil

Meema said...

[clunk]
(sound of Ms. P's jaw hitting the floor)

Wow, D&P. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Deb and Phil, you have overwhelmed all of us with your genius. I'm trying to come up with something half as good as one of your stanzas. I'm almost ready to give up.

Almost.

Anonymous said...

The iPhone may warrant a sonnet
to heap highest praises upon it.
To describe its design,
I s'pose lim'ricks are fine;
But here's a haiku if you want it:

Gleaming potential
email, blogging, and cell phone
awakened with touch

Meema said...

Pairing two types of verse is just prime!
The haiku writ above is sublime.
But the lim'rik, like iPhone,
In aCrowd stands aLone:
RM (with a K) sure can rhyme!

private to mWAK - Your haiku is geekily rapturous!

Anonymous said...

WHO WAS THE 1998 PLAYMATE OF THE YEAR?
Clever iPhone is not for the frugal.
It’s for those who can’t live without Google.
Answers 24/7
It’s trivia heaven!
(Still wondering? ‘Twas Karen McDougal.)

Sent from my iPhone

Eric V. said...

Disappointed in Mac Expo are you?
That there’s yet to be iPhone Gen. 2?
I’ve patiently waited.
(My cell phone’s outdated.)
I still can’t Mapquest or YouTube.

Anonymous said...

No matter how far from home
I go, I'm never alone.
The world in my palm,
I browse with aplomb.
Thank you, my useful iPhone.

Meema said...

The writing of lim’ricks is pleasant.
(My granny likes pictures with pheasant.)
But the iPhone - it’s scary!
I need to be wary;
A tech gal by nature I isn’t.

The smooth and the shiny appeal,
As does color and slight weighty feel.
But who e-mail reads,
Or on-the-go needs
A glance of the Web for to steal?

I still like my basic old phone.
Without it I feel quite alone.
No camera, no ‘Net,
But my friends’ numbers let
Me keep in touch when not at home.

I know you are diff’rent than me
In the way we see technology.
Your iPhone, it seems,
Is the toy of your dreams.
So surf all you care to, wire-free!