2.06.2008

Dear Exemplary Student

For those of you who wonder how best to address me, a recent epistle provides an answer. Scott seems too intimate, but Your Lordship too deferential? Try this: Dear Exemplary Student, as the Assistant Director of International and Off-Campus Programs did in sending me the following letter:

Faculty members were recently invited to submit the names of two of their students who they believe would be excellent candidates for post graduate fellowships. These fellowships—such as Fulbright, Truman, Rhodes, and Javits—provide outstanding students with funding for graduate study or independent research.

Congratulations—you have clearly distinguished yourself during your time at Hamline, because you were one of less than 40 students nominated out of more than 2000 in the college. This nomination does not in any way obligate you to apply for a fellowship, however it does indicate that you have the potential to be a successful candidate if you are interested and if a fellowship will help you to meet your career goals.

Although applying need not be stressful, the application requirements must be completed with care if you are to have a chance at successfully applying, and so having at least six months for brainstorming and revising is essential. Again, congratulations on your success at Hamline!

I hesitated posting this letter, so as not to appear immodest, but I'm starting to realize that, maybe, if I feel like I'm doing good work, and people who matter tell me I'm doing good work, something might actually come of all this folderol. Besides, I haven't even applied for anything; this just means Hamline will help me if I try. What's the harm in that?

7 comments:

Eric V. said...

I'm so, so, so proud of you.

deb said...

Well, now I'm confused, because I thought we'd already settled on "Most High Reverend." But I can be flexible.

If this is in the pipeline, I wish you would get a swanky fellowship in a place I'd like to visit. Is that asking so much?

I wonder if we're on the way to a non-ironic "Dr. Rohr" thing.

deb said...

in the moment:

i'm watching project runway as i type. they're on their way to "spandex house."

keywords so far: gold. stripper-look. chaps. leopard. not glittery enough. straddle her. lace 'n leather. tranny ice queen.

rami is going with a draping thing. imagine that.

rootbeerlady said...

Nice. Very nice. Congratulations!

I suppose it would not be appropriate to correct the grammar of the letter in response. "less than 40 students" agh!
r (not an English major)

Anonymous said...

Love it. Love it love it love it.

Anonymous said...

I've always considered you exemplary, deary.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Scott! That's a really big deal and the fact that you worked in the word folderol makes it that much more exciting.

Since you're exemplary, perhaps someone will listen to you about your j-term experience? Lord knows the 19 - 23 set wouldn't be able to provide meaningful feedback. "Um, like, I just didn't like it, um, like, you know?" Sorry it caused GPA damage...