4.09.2008

The Color Orange, 2.0

Remember this chair? Eric and I received something today that soooo trumps that little piece of orange happiness. Today we received a box in the mail, with a sign that read, "Happiness is the Color Orange, the Sequel." Inside the box was the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen. A riot of bright orange fabrics, intricately cut and pieced into, well, you can see the pattern for yourself below. What you perhaps can't see is the quilting itself, which is a swirl of pinwheels and blooms and sunbursts. The effect is stunning, and the quilt is perfectly executed in every way.

This quilt was made by my father, and is a very unexpected gift from him. Growing up, my father did incredible needlepoint, including the single most beautiful piece of craft I've ever seen, an antique kneeler, the cushion for which dad created a needlepoint based on Watanabe prints. Anyway. I knew he now made quilts, and I'm thrilled to have one. Dad, if you're reading, a very public thank you for this. And if you'd be willing, I'm sure my readers would love knowing more about the pattern.




Thanks to my choir at St. Paul's, who helped me photograph the quilt earlier this evening.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful!

The quilt is lovely, too.

deb said...

We are gobsmacked by this gorgeous thing. Can't wait to see it in person and study the details.

Paul said...

STUNNING Quilt! The colors are just terrific. And how awesome that your Dad made it - very cool!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's amazing! I think the only thing my dad ever made me was a peanut butter sandwich, and he did a bad job of it. You lucky boy!

annw said...

After a difficult but ultimately rewarding rehearsal period that included several weeks of most cast members suffering from that 5-day fever-flu and or (diagnosed) laryngitis, another week lost to state boys basketball tournaments, and a crucial (first night with the pit band) rehearsal lost to a called snow day that ended up NOT being snowy, our opening night was postponed. And I'm sorry, it's snowing BUT THIS IS MINNESOTA. When did we start canceling events for a little weather?

I wasn't feeling your pain, Scott, with the earlier posts complaining of late wintriness, but I am now. So I turn to your blog for commiseration, expecting another iPhone shot of white washed cityscape, and instead I find a cheery post that makes me smile? STOP IT! I want to wallow in my poutiness and disappointment.

By the way, you have to take the Prof K class. (Although, to quibble, such a course should not examine the resurgence of Renaissance popularity, rather, which aspects of the Renaissance are now popular. I don't think the quest for popular reimaginings of Shakespeare has waned much in hundreds of years. My personal answer to the question posed by Prof K: Ken Branagh's ego.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous quilt. Seriously, its just unreal. Beautiful work, Mr. Rohr!