4.13.2008

I've got your crisis right here, mister

The great thing about posting-as-foreshadowing is that friends became concerned that maybe they're the ones who said something wrong, and wanted to know the story and make amends, before I went public. The power I wield. In the wrong hands, it could be sooo misused.

This might be a good time to remind you that you're late with blog dues. Very late. I need a new computer.

Anyway, here's what happened. I ran into a fellow church musician this week, and he wanted to hear all about Hamline, leaving Buuji, future plans, and so on. I started to tell him about my studies, the summer collaborative research project, plans for grad school. Mid-sentence, he interrupted me and asked, "How old are you, anyway?" I answered that I had just turned 40; he immediately burst out laughing, and said, "Well, that it explains everything!" as if everything I'm doing is the result of some cliche of a midlife crisis.

It's not, right? I mean, it's not. I've always thought of going back to school, and affirming that I want a career in music, as correcting an earlier crisis, if anything. So I admit to being a little rattled by Mr. ____'s offhand remark.

Thoughts? Is my returning to school akin to leaving the mother of my children for my secretary at the dermatology clinic and buying a red Porsche?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely not! Because if going back to school were emblematic of your midlife crisis, then mine would be characterized by my impending move from Paris to the Twin Cities. To be closer to my parents. And that's just too pathetic to contemplate.

Plus, I'm never turning 40.

P.S. Seriously, I see your return to school and all your plans as an I'm-taking-charge-of-my-life-and-shaping-it-into-what-I-really-want thing, not as running away from anything.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Stephanie on this. People our age are essentially the first generation for whom it will be the norm to have several different careers in a lifetime.

My first big life/career change came at 30, another at 40, but age is just a number. It has nothing to do with what's happening inside you.

The real impetus for changes like you're making are the life experiences you've gatherd to this point, or perhaps more importantly, the experiences you still want to add to your life.

I'm so wise, right?

Anonymous said...

you bought a red Porsche? Kewl!


phil

Meema said...

Sean so wisely articulated my thoughts for me.

(private to Sean - oh, that's you in my head!)

It's not as if these changes in your life are being made rashly. Besides, a red Porsche? Hardly. I totally see you in black.

Meema said...

p.s. Love the picture of all the knitterly boys on theyarneryblog.blogspot.com !

Tracy Purtscher said...

If a strangers opinion matters...

Nope, not even close. You aren't going after trivial hey-look-at-me kind of stuff. You're fulfilling a dream cuz you can.

deb said...

Stop pestering me with these existential questions. I'm very very busy trying to improve myself as a hacker so I can vote several hundred times in the marathon poll.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, quitting job, back to school, new piano (which costs as much as a Porsche)...

Just kidding, Scott. I admire that you're willing to change so many things to achieve what you've always wanted.