5.05.2008

Car games

Minnesota license plates display a combination of three letters followed by three numbers (separated by a mini MN emblem): ABC * 123. Inspired by Deb, here's a fun way to distract yourself from driving without using your cellphone. The letters of every license plate in the state actually form an acronym. Deb's happens to be JRL, or Jesus Reads Lips. It's probably not a surprise that the acronym on my plate is also an edict: NWY, or Never Wear Yellow. The game is limited only by your ability to scan plates as you drive. Bonus points if the acronym matches the driver (e.g., tonight I saw a Mercedes with a most appropriate plate for its driver: VNG, or Very Nice Goiter). So hit the streets, but first tell me what your plate has to say.

P.S. Readers in France, Canada, and Singapore, you'll need to make up your own game.

7 comments:

Meema said...

Oooh, smooth attempt to wrest the Pacific Rim lurker from the shadows!

Mine is TCX - Trouble Comprehending Xenography.

Cate said...

So MD used to drive 'Mark's Big Rig' when he was driving the F150. Then the Suburu he is driving was 'Good Creamy Yogurt' and now he drives 'eXamine Your Mistress'. I sure hope he doesn't get any bonus points with the last one.
My car is 'MuZer Fuc*er'.
I put the star in so I didn't put your blog into the PG rating.

deb said...

Bonnie's is FBD.

F*ck Bonnie Daily.

Anonymous said...

Here in France, we distract ourselves while waiting for the métro by playing "Count the Mice." This is, of course, a loose translation of the original New York subway game, "Count the Rats." Don't be fooled by Ratatouille--Rémy and his friends just ain't that cute in real life.

In the winter, the Paris métro also sometimes offers the opportunity to play "Try Not to Watch the Homeless Man Jerk Off in His Sleeping Bag." In the summer, the game is the same, sans sleeping bag.

I'm sure I'll find the Minnesota license plate game to be a quaint foreign change to my daily commute when I arrive.

Anonymous said...

Out here on le prairie we can't hope to match that level of urban sophistication ... so we devise our own homely passtimes.

Visit Paris - bring a towel. (Maybe that'll keep the ugly Americans away.)

Anonymous said...

XDK

Xena: Dominatrix Killer

annw said...

Mine is NVS.
On the way to school/work: Not Very Sexy.
After hours: Now Very Sexy.

One of the more popular combos in Monte these days is JPG, which needs no help except the pronunciation (J-peg).

My dad's used to be DXU, which for some reason turned into "shoe" in my head.