5.21.2008

Out of the Shadows

Thanks to a heads up from Eric M, Eric and I watched an excellent documentary on public television this evening: Depression: Out of the Shadows. I encourage you to explore the website, and find a way to view the film.

In a way, this very blog is a result of my depression. My first major episode of clinical depression occurred while I was a student at Concordia in 1989. While not looking to escape responsibility for any part of my life, I do know that depression has shaped my motivations and decisions throughout most of my life. In the almost twenty years since I took my first anti-depressant, I have learned a great deal about what works for me, and how to cope with the limitations the illness puts on me. It doesn't take a genius to realize that completing my degree at Hamline is important to me in part because it represents a very concrete rebuke of the low-grade but constant depression I will probably always live with.

If you, or someone you know, has any of the common signs of depression, please find a way to seek help. If I have learned one thing over the years, it's this: as long as any stigma is attached to mental illness, we don't stand much of a chance of effectively combating it. You take insulin for diabetes? Or something for high cholesterol? Maybe a pill for your high blood pressure? Cool. I take Prozac.

P.S. Check out Peter Kramer's excellent blog in the links section of my sidebar.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.


phil

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to see the doc--I'm proud of my friend, Steve, who edited the piece. I think that the film gives thoughtful and clear insight into depression, and I found it both interesting and educational.

Anonymous said...

thanks
pdk

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Scott. Thanks for sharing something so personal with us.

My family has long history of depression and anxiety. It has only been my generation that ever seriously sought treatment. My mom took meds, but she never reported her symptoms accurately or completely, because she didn't want to seem "too sick."

She was a highly educated woman, but she always felt stigmatized by needing mental health care, no matter how much my sisters and I tried convince her that she had nothing to be ashamed of.

Anyway, I take my Lexapro every day, and I plan to keep on taking it. Would I rather not need to be on meds? Of course. But I do need them. So, that's that.

deb said...

What a good program that was. Thanks to all for alerting me in time to catch the overnight broadcast on the DVR.

When I was in nursing school several decades ago, the gospel was that humans are born with all the brain cells they'll ever have, and then life is a long downhill slide of neuronal loss. That view has been thoroughly disproven in recent years. Though we do lose neurons, there's a mountain of research showing that the brain is responsive and elastic, and we continue to make new neurons.

I think one of the most exciting ideas (also covered in the show) is that "depression" occurs when the replacement rate of neuron can't keep up with the rate of loss. This finding leads directly to newer and better treatment strategies.

What accelerates neuron loss? Unlucky DNA, stress, poverty, loss, abuse, neglect, alcohol, social isolation, sloth, bad sleep, etc.

What helps in the replacement of high quality neurons? Lucky genetics and epigenetics, medication (which for many people needs to be updated and changed regularly to keep the neurons interested), exercise (which may have almost as big a treatment effect as meds), human connections, including the particular "resonance circuit" that happens in psychotherapy, reliable access to safe housing, decent food, meaningful work that pays a respectful wage, involvement in something outside of the self.

"Against Depression" was Peter Kramer's most recent book, and it was a revelation for me. (BTW, did you notice the third comment here?? How cool is that???)

Another good book that talks about treatment strategies and curative factors is "The Chemistry of Joy" by Henry Emmons.

Dr. Kramer's blog is really worth reading. Every entry is an elegant essay, beautifully written, complete. I find that I'm interested in whatever is on Peter Kramer's mind. (I admit I've tried very hard to sous blog a little over there, because I'm such a huge fan, but I can't ever find anything to add that would be useful or non-dorky.)

Though they didn't exactly say this in the program, it seems clear that the people who have a psychologist for a friend are the luckiest people in the world.

Anonymous said...

You had me right up there until the end, Dr. Streisand.

I love you anyway.


phil

deb said...

The uber lucky people are the ones who are married to a psychologist.

annw said...

And we who regularly find joy (and laughter) while reading the psychologist's blog comments are also quite lucky.