10.06.2008

A glass half full means more to drink

No, I don't want to do another marathon. But, I was thinking as I ran, that if we're going to keep a list of Words We Eschew (which my running-addled brain needs to update), we should also celebrate those high-falutin' words that give us pleasure, or allow us to manipulate others, or divide the haves from the have nots. You know, in a hegemonic kind of way. I've started the list on the sidebar. Feel free to comment or email as the spirit moves, and I'll add them if I love them. Because, never forget, this is all about me. All the time.

10 comments:

Sean said...

How about "picaresque"? I've liked that one even since grad school.

Stephanie said...

I've always been particularly fond of both "juxtapose" and "whimsical". Am I the only person who thinks the latter is somehow onomatopoetic? Or at least very pretty.

Also, as of today, I have decided to eschew "duodenum", since it suddenly turns out that that ugly word may be why my father's still in the hospital after 3.5 weeks.

Naomi Welsh said...

My nominations: facetious (all the vowels in alphabetical order- and a great word to boot), sesquipedalia, tintinnabulation, serendipitous, & opsimath.

deb said...

Oh wow. I just looked up opsimath.

Naomi wins.

rootbeerlady said...

discernment

Maybe I like it because I'd like to be good at it.

Tom said...

Do they have to be long and fancy? Because I think there's one very short, very simple word that we can all embrace regardless of it's frequency in our personal lexica. (Lexicon. There's a good word, too). Now, are you ready for that brief but powerful word? Here goes.



Fuck.


It's a word I embrace. I think GXL should embrace it, too.

burt c said...

I'm quite fond of "bailiwick" myself.

Larry said...

I always liked the names that the British gave their dreadnoughts, that is warships such as Valiant, Warspite, Resolution, Formidable, Irresistable, Implacable, etc. were wonderful names/words. Leave it to the English to give something a dignified name; unlike one of our current candidates with the midwestern accent. You betcha den!

Larry

Tom said...

Ooooh, bailiwick. Now that's a good word.

I have two more entries. Chasm and schism. Few words end in asm and few words have 6 letters and only one vowel.

Naomi Welsh said...

Syzygy is another nifty word.