4.11.2009

Adoration of the cross

I can think of few things worth suffering the pain of death by crucifixion: saving the world from itself? Sure, if you're into that kind of thing. But also, my mother's hot cross buns (though I have messed with the recipe enough that these are no longer exactly my mother's hot cross buns). Mother never began by soaking the currants and golden raisins in brandy. I also omit the fruitcake mix (red food coloring tastes like cancer). New this year, I added cardamom to the dough (there's already cinnamon), and, bowing, to Minnesota tradition, I added glazed crosses. Mother always snipped the tops of the rolls with a scissors into a supposed cross form, and sprinkled sugar into the wound, but I don't think anyone ever figured out those were crosses. Anyhoo. I am going to try not to eat the entire two dozen of them before I have to take them to dinner tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: