4.18.2009

I heart LaCrosse

This morning, I made it my mission to support the economy of downtown LaCrosse until I can return. Grabbed an au lait at Grounded Specialty Coffee, then breakfast (again) at Fayze's. I stumbled into Leithold's Music, which has been in business since the late 1800's (and looks it). A community band was rehearsing in the basement, and I perused obscure scores, the likes of which I haven't seen since shopping in Chicago several years ago. Weird. I got 50% off original prices (and some of those original prices were from the 1980s) on piano and organ music by Wallingford Riegger, Robert Casadesus, Ron Boud, Jan Bender, William Bates, Donald Busarow, Adrian Self, Noel Goemanne, and a kickass suite of compositions by Flor Peeters arranged for harpsichord and chamber organ, which Doppelgänger and I will someday perform. Then it was off to Dale Street Clothing, one of those odd stores, like a clothing store we like in Fargo, that has all sorts of cool stuff you don't expect to see in a smaller market. Three shirts and a jacket later (again, 50% off), I headed to Pearl Street Books and picked up works by Oliver Sacks and Truman Capote. Finally, I ran into friends at Pearl Street Confectioners, where I knew I'd need to procure Eric some candy, and ended up getting ice cream with them, for the third time this trip. I will come rolling home shortly. This trip has been great fun.

1 comment:

rootbeerlady said...

Glad to hear the trip was better than you expected.
I think the LaCrosse economy hearts you too.