11.04.2007

Holy Sonnet Sunday

I am a little world made cunningly
Of elements and an angelic sprite,
But black sin hath betray’d to endless night
My world’s both parts, and oh both parts must die.
You which beyond that heaven which was most high
Have found new spheres, and of new lands can write,
Pour new seas in mine eyes, that so I might
Drown my world with my weeping earnestly,
Or wash it, if it must be drown’d no more.
But oh it must be burnt; alas the fire
Of lust and envy have burnt it heretofore,
And made it fouler; let their flames retire,
And burn me O Lord, with a fiery zeal
Of thee and thy house, which doth in eating heal.

--John Donne, Holy Sonnet V

Now, I just need to figure out what this poem is about so I can write a paper. I chose it for the first line, which may next appear engraved on my sarcophagus.

6 comments:

rootbeerlady said...

Kind of appropriate for All Saints' Sunday.

annw said...

Lovely choice. It's like #14 light.

annw said...

Which doesn't mean less challenging.

burt c said...

I really like the line "You...pour new seas in mine eyes" And after that I read into it references to caramelized onions, or sugar. It is so appropriately food related. At least that is my take. From the bitter comes sweetness.

deb said...

As evidence that Eric M. is soulful, subtle and smart, while I am shallow and literal, I think "Batter my heart" must be about tempura and hot oil.

I've been trying to plumb the depths of Holy Sonnet V, just to see if I have it in me. It was very helpful when you told me that he was a reluctant priest. I can put together some meaning, right up until the end, when I think he turns a corner and tells us we'll feel better if we go ahead and eat everything in the house.

sigh

I should probably give up doing therapy and find something more related to my meager skill set. Sorting and filing, maybe.

Sorry.

Anonymous said...

What the hell's Burt talking about?