11.03.2007

Not Donne Yet


I have heavy studying ahead of me this weekend. The assignment for our second major LitCrit paper has been posted:
This assignment consists of several parts:
Choose a closed-form poem of 14-20 lines, or a selection from a closed-form poem of about the same length. Make sure to avoid poems that we explicitly unpacked and discussed in class; if unsure check with the instructor. Remember, the more established the form, the easier to execute this assignment will be for you.
On a separate sheet of paper, retype the poem, double spaced. Print out. Dissect, in hand, the poem for meter, rhyme, alliteration/assonance, simile/metaphor, imagery, diction, and any other poetic form you can locate. Make sure to color-code your dissection. Be as creative or messy as you like; what matters is the thoroughness of your effort, not its sightliness.
Write a 4-6 page argumentative paper delving into the poem's meaning. What kind of issues is it addressing? How does it accomplish its aims? Are there places that subvert the overt meaning? This is your opportunity to put into work all of the ammunition that you collected in step #2 above. You need not adress all of the issues; rather, focus on those that are most relevant to the poem in question and to its own poetic craft. Remember to address the question of form; are there narrative or content expectations that the form itself signals? Are these expectations fulfilled? Supplemented? In question? Subverted? Changed?
I was all set to use W. H. Auden's "Stop all the Clocks," until Prof K suggested in class on Thursday that if we were smart, we'd choose a sonnet. I've narrowed my choice to one of John Donne's 19 holy sonnets. I'll be studying them today. If you have a preference or opinion, let me know.

I think it would be helpful if I could spend the weekend contemplating this assignment from Donne's home in Pyrford, a village in Surrey. I have a flight to catch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Please do #14 (aka the S&M Sonnet). There's so much in there that you'll have a hard time writing only 6 pages. Plus it's got a super fun rhythm. The only drawback is that it's one of his best known so there's already been tons written about it. But maybe you could look at interpreting it through one of our Eagle-going-brother's eyes?

And speaking of your papers don't you think your readers would enjoy it if you posted a couple of them for us to study and learn from? I know I would. Please consider it.

annw said...

I adore the Auden. I use it on an exam just for an excuse to show a video clip to my class of John Hanna reading it at the funeral in Four Weddings and.

If you are set on the Donne, however, I have to admit knowing #14 best. Just watch out for that first enjambment. Aren't the paradoxes fun? Try explaining them in a public school classroom without feeling like you're breaking huge separation of church and state rules.

In the long run, I guess the more liberal aspects of showing a gay funeral elegy and the more conservative aspects of discussing Christian metaphysics cancel each other out.

At least that's my rationale.

The truth is, I just enjoy lovely words strung together in lovely ways.

Meema said...

J'aime le Funeral Blues, and John Hanna's lovely reading in 4WAAF as well.

Sean said...

I was in the lit crit biz for ten years, and the word "unpack" still makes me want to barf. That's not helpful to you, I know. I'm just sayin'.