1.08.2008

Let's play taboo

In my J-term sociolinguistics class, the instructor—let's call her Professor Flutterby (because the first day of class she went off on a tangent about how butterflies in Chaucer's time were called flutterbies, and isn't that beautiful, and the whole time she was staring dreamily off into space with her hands waving up and down like some odd angel of a certain age)—but I digress. Anyhoo, Professor Flutterby was walking around the room, calling on students to give her an example of a taboo word. We had already established that these words come from the worlds of religion, race, sex, and bodily functions, but she wanted specifics. Either most of the kids weren't able to think of these words on the spur of the moment (doubtful) or were too scared to swear in class (more likely), so Professor Flutterby was not getting the answers she wanted. Finally she came to me, pointed, and said, "Give me a taboo word about sex."
"Fuck you!" I said.
"Yes!" she smiled. "Fuck YOU!"

I think I'll get an A.

5 comments:

Meema said...

So this is what we send our children off to college for nowadays, is it? Can you homeschool a B.A.?

Seriously, I can't believe your "peers" weren't more forthcoming. I don't think my high schoolers would hesitate for a second.

BTW, we'll be needing a picture of Professor Flutterby ASAP. Perhaps your next class report could include a relevant photo so your loyal readers aren't reduced to begging for visual aids...

Anonymous said...

heh, heh ...

So "YOU" is the taboo word? It's been SO long since I was in school.


phil

annw said...

Here's what I do (for a similar exercise, an attention getting first activity of a language unit that leads to definitions of "euphemism," "synonym," and "slang" by the end of the hour):

Put the students in groups, give them a taboo subject ("dead" and "drunk" work well, I avoid "sex" and body parts although we talk about them later) and four minutes to come up with as many alternate words or phrases as they can (barring proper names), make it a contest.

Without even asking me for permission to swear, the first word on almost every list after I provide the subject "toilet" is "shitter." For 17 years. It is the one constant in my teaching career. (I'm so proud!)

They twitter at using vulgarities in school. But they aren't shy about participating, unlike those Hamline wusses (always excepting our beloved Scooter).

Note: The record is 77 words or phrases for "drunk." Yes, we have such advanced students in Monte.

Anonymous said...

I always knew your foul mouth would be your ticket to academic stardom, sweetie...

Robbie said...

I love the game taboo. Plus, I always find myself dropping the f-bomb whenever the buzzer sounds. What a hoot. Sounds like Professor Flutterby will provide a lot of interesting moments in class!