2.11.2008

Preaching to the choirmaster

I am not fond of pat answers, simplistic sentiments, or emotive rhetoric. Fortunately, the priest at the parish where I serve as music director offers none of those in her weekly homilies. Yesterday her opening thoughts were particularly moving, and with her permission, I thought to share them with you:

Last Sunday I was flipping through the Best Buy ad thinking that I really need an LCD HDTVnow. It's time for me to get with the times and get a flat screen.

Then I looked up at my non-flat screen, non-digital TV, to see a piece on CNN about what people in Haiti are eating. The report said that people there have taken to eating mud. They mix it with a bit of oil and salt and bake it into cakes. This is because rice has become unaffordable to many: 50 cents a bag, which, if you are only making $1 a day, is too much. And the street vendor selling the mud cakes said that mud staves off the worst of the hunger pangs, especially for children. Imagine not being able to afford rice. And feeding your children dirt. Next there was some speculation by some sort of mud-eating expert about how much mud you could eat before getting seriously sick. Apparently, it depends on where the mud came from and what is in it. . . .

—Rev. Marlene Jacobs, 10 February 2008, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Minneapolis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, you're saying she got a plasma instead of the LCD???

No, but seriously, it's good to be reminded of the great disparity of wealth in the world, and how fortunate we are. Perspective is often easily misplaced. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oy, that's depressing. Can't we have another iPhone limerick contest?

Thanks for that Scott. I need frequent reminding that the trials of my life are nothing compared to most of the world. And that I need to give more. And that I probably don't need that new {insert consumer product here}.